Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Some Disadvantages of Relocating to Seychelles?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Essetronaut
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2023

What Are Some Disadvantages of Relocating to Seychelles?

I've spent quite a number of years living outside of Seychelles and there certainly are reasons for people to not choose to relocate to Seychelles. Here are a few reasons I can think of:

1 - Cost of Living: Seychelles is an expensive place to live in, period. From renting your own apartment or house in a convenient location such as Victoria or Beau Vallon to groceries, fuel, buying a car, public transportation, etc.

2 - Isolation: Seychelles is so far away from the rest of the world. If you are relocating, you will undoubtedly have family in other countries. This means you will either be moving here by yourself, with your immediate family or perhaps even a colleague (if this is what your job requires of you). Moving here can be lonely if you are attached to the family and friends back home. It might even take you a while to turn strangers here into close friends.

3 - Healthcare: Although Seychelles boasts access to basic universal healthcare to all citizens and residents, there is still a lot of room for improvement in this domain. The quality of healthcare may not be up to the standard in comparison to that of your country.

4 - Cultural Adjustment Challenge: While many people feel that Seychellois are hospitable and friendly, others may not feel the same way. The local language of Seychelles is Creole, and the two official languages are English and French. This might make others who do not speak these languages feel very alone and alienated. Language may not be the only barrier either, as some may experience a cultural barrier. It will thus take time for some to adjust to life in Seychelles and some may not be able to adapt at all.

5 - Drug Epidemic: Seychelles has a frightening heroin and other hard drugs problem. This means that everything associated with such issues in a country, including drug crimes is rampant in Seychelles. I don't know the exact number of users, but let's just say the number is scary. It has got to a point where you only have to drive around at night to see people using, including sniffing and shooting.

These are a few disadvantages that I've come up with. Are there others that you have in mind that you would like to share, or is there any of the ones that I've mentioned that you disagree with or have opinions about?​
  • Divina
    • Oct 2023

Originally posted by Essetronaut
    I've spent quite a number of years living outside of Seychelles and there certainly are reasons for people to not choose to relocate to Seychelles. Here are a few reasons I can think of:

1 - Cost of Living: Seychelles is an expensive place to live in, period. From renting your own apartment or house in a convenient location such as Victoria or Beau Vallon to groceries, fuel, buying a car, public transportation, etc.

2 - Isolation: Seychelles is so far away from the rest of the world. If you are relocating, you will undoubtedly have family in other countries. This means you will either be moving here by yourself, with your immediate family or perhaps even a colleague (if this is what your job requires of you). Moving here can be lonely if you are attached to the family and friends back home. It might even take you a while to turn strangers here into close friends.

3 - Healthcare: Although Seychelles boasts access to basic universal healthcare to all citizens and residents, there is still a lot of room for improvement in this domain. The quality of healthcare may not be up to the standard in comparison to that of your country.

4 - Cultural Adjustment Challenge: While many people feel that Seychellois are hospitable and friendly, others may not feel the same way. The local language of Seychelles is Creole, and the two official languages are English and French. This might make others who do not speak these languages feel very alone and alienated. Language may not be the only barrier either, as some may experience a cultural barrier. It will thus take time for some to adjust to life in Seychelles and some may not be able to adapt at all.

5 - Drug Epidemic: Seychelles has a frightening heroin and other hard drugs problem. This means that everything associated with such issues in a country, including drug crimes is rampant in Seychelles. I don't know the exact number of users, but let's just say the number is scary. It has got to a point where you only have to drive around at night to see people using, including sniffing and shooting.

These are a few disadvantages that I've come up with. Are there others that you have in mind that you would like to share, or is there any of the ones that I've mentioned that you disagree with or have opinions about?​
    Great list! For me, to add on the those mentioned, I also feel Seychelles is a bit behind in terms of technology, convenience and also development policies. Many of these things aren't really an issue unless you live here for a longer period of time and have experienced how other more developed countries are. This is when one begins to feel as though living in Seychelles might keep one closed-minded.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎